Recipe of the Week
- 2 eggplants, cut into 1cm slices
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 750g lamb mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp dried mint
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 200ml red wine
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml olive oil
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm slices
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the white sauce
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 1 tsp finely grated nutmeg
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Put the lamb, onions, garlic, oregano, mint, bay and cinnamon in a large heavy-based frying pan and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat.
- Stir in the flour, salt and plenty of pepper. Add the wine, tomatoes, tomato purée and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is tender and the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the eggplant pieces in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant pieces under cold running water and pat dry in a clean tea towel. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the eggplants for 2–3 minutes on each side, adding more oil when necessary. Remove from the pan and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain in a colander under running water until cold.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- For the white sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for a few seconds, then gradually stir in the milk. Add half the Parmesan and the grated nutmeg. Simmer the sauce gently for 4–5 minutes, stirring regularly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool. When cooled, stir in the beaten egg.
- Spoon one third of the meat sauce into a deep ovenproof dish. Cover with a layer of potatoes and then with a layer of eggplants. Repeat the layers until the meat sauce, potatoes and eggplants have finished. Pour over the white sauce, making sure it covers in a thick, even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until deep golden-brown.
Market Place is located within our Level 3 Fresh Food Market.
With a wide array of the freshest locally sourced produce, you are sure to find your favourite fruit and vegetables and discover many more!
Be sure to check out The Market Place Halal Butcher inside the store on your next visit.