Recipe of the Week
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
- ½ kg chicken thighs cut into 5 cm pieces
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 curry leaves on the stem
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp finely crushed ginger
- ½ lemongrass stalk smashed
- 1 pandan leaf scrunched
- 1 tomato
- pinch ground fennel
- 1 tsp cumin
- Heat the ghee and fry the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves until the leaves start to brown.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry gently until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Then add the ground spices, salt and vinegar and stir well. Add the tomato, whole spices, lemon grass and pandan leaf, then add the chicken.
- Cook for 15 – 50 minutes depending on the depth of flavour you want to achieve.
- Stir in the coconut milk and taste for seasoning. Add a squeeze of lemon (optional).
- If you triple the quantity and cook for 45-50 minutes you will get a deeper, richer, smoother dish that will feed 6 with some rice or string hoppers (a noodle made with rice meal).
Market Place is located within our Level 3 Fresh Food Market.
With a wide array of the freshest locally sourced produce, you are sure to find your favourite fruit and vegetables and discover many more!
Be sure to check out The Market Place Halal Butcher inside the store on your next visit.