Recipe of the Month
Chicken Chickpea Coconut Curry
There’s something about making a curry from scratch that is so satisfying – it’s one of those dishes that’s comforting, filling and delicious.
This simple, rich, flavourful and healthy curry is perfect for a quick meal on a chilly winter night. Once you’ve thrown everything together in a large pot, it just simmers away until the veggies are tender and the sauce is thick and creamy.
During this season we all need to be getting our healthy immune-boosting spices into our diets as much as possible and this recipe really hits the spot. Plus you can easily turn the dish into a vegan meal by omitting the chicken.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 50 g tomato paste
- 400 g can diced tomato
- 1 1/2 cups (300ml) coconut milk
- 3 large potatoes, diced (skins on)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 deboned chicken breasts, diced into cubes
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rice and naan bread, to serve
You can find all of the ingredients for this recipe in our Fresh Food Market on Level 3. Why not stop into Green Village Poultry to pick up the fresh, deboned chicken breasts you’ll need. For spices our Dandenong Grocery Market has well and truly got you covered, chat to the staff about their range of curry powders and what level of heat you are looking for. It’s worth mentioning that you can make this curry with pretty much any veggies that you prefer, like butternut, sweet potato or cauliflower. Take your pick from Market Place Fresh and get creative with this recipe, so long as the basic flavours are there. Plus for the ultimate rice and flakey naan to serve your curry with, we suggest a visit to India at Home.
Method: (Serves 6)
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Add the onions and cook until browning on the edges, add garlic and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Stir in the turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper, curry powder and mixed herbs and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Now stir in the tomato paste and canned diced tomato and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour in the coconut milk and add the potatoes and carrots. Turn the heat down to a vigorous simmer and allow to cook for 20 – 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the sauce is thick.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the chicken, gently simmer for 12 – 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Be careful not to overcook as the chicken can become tough. Stir in the chickpeas, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over rice with naan bread. ENJOY!
Top Tip: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze in an airtight container to enjoy whenever you please!
Recipe sourced and adapted from Berry Sweet Life.
Market Place is located within our Level 3 Fresh Food Market.
With a wide array of the freshest locally sourced produce, you are sure to find your favourite fruit and vegetables and discover many more!
Be sure to check out The Market Place Halal Butcher inside the store on your next visit.